[Gllug] Thoughts on Scalix

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 16:06:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:52:18 +0100 Morfidus <morfidus at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> One of the directors has his hands on a few other companies and says
> that a support company he uses could do it for about a grand (MS SMB
> business server??) to get it up and running. But then I would have to
> keep it going.

This is a classic problem with directors and the like trying to price
IT projects. They merely look at the setup costs, forgetting that most
of the money goes into paying for maintenance. It's seventeen years
since I worked in IT, but I spent the previous twenty years having to
deal with the consequences of this type of thinking. It seems that
nothing has changed.

Hit them with figures on relative maintenance costs. If you present
them correctly it could give them a shock,

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk