[Gllug] Fedora/Dell Clock Problems

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sun Apr 1 23:02:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 18:12 +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> About a week ago the clock started to lose time badly. It seems to be
> running at about half speed (maybe a bit less).
>
> I don't know much about this area so any advice would be much
> appreciated. Is it possible that this could be caused by software? Or is
> is a hardware fault?

My initial thought would be that it is hardware related but likely
correctable.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Make sure your case is tidy inside. If done right you will improve
air flow but also you can make sure that no power connector is touching
something that it shouldn't.

2) If the problem shows up after a little while make sure all your fans
are working and clean. Also check you operating temperatures. Heat does
strange things some times and a dust laden fan can have enough drag to
affect its ability to draw heat.

Good luck,
Justin

ps Remember the power supply fans.

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ