[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Apr 11 01:59:42 UTC 2007

On 3 Apr 2007, Chris Jones verbalised:
> Hi
>
> Nix wrote:
>> You'd think they could save the old contents of the disk off while
>> reimaging. Bah. Shoddy.
>
> and do what with them?!

Stick them back on the new disk (if a new disk was required). Basically
`don't destroy the customer's data'. One would assume that the data was
sort of the *reason for existence* of the computer, and thus likely to
be important enough not to throw away willy-nilly.

> FWIW, a colleague is returning a Thinkpad today for servicing and IBM
> specifically asked him to pop the disk out and hang on to it.

Good move, but that assumes your customers are competent to do that.
Why can't IBM pop the disk out and replace it, and then reverse the
process at the end of servicing?

> If you have chosen to significantly modify the product you purchased, I

`Store data on' is not `significantly modify`; it's `use as intended'.

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk