[Gllug] Old hardware heading for the bin

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Apr 15 20:21:20 UTC 2007

Chris Bell wrote:
> I am not sure what would make an Acorn floppy drive
> different from any other,

The obvious difference in an Acorn 3.5" floppy drive is a signal line
which tells the computer when a disk is inserted/ejected.  This enabled
the original Archimedes to do some very intelligent disk handling.  You
could eject and insert floppy disks willy nilly (provided they weren't
actually being accessed at the time) and the OS could keep track of
which one was currently in the drive.  When it needed to read data from
a particular one it would prompt you to put it in the drive.

The bit I liked best was doing a "umount" (called something different of
course) of a disk not currently in the drive and the OS would then ask
you to re-insert the relevant disk so that it could tidy things up.  I
think you could have up to 8 disks mounted in a single drive simultaneously.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk