[Gllug] back on the linux front

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 19:58:26 UTC 2007

On 18 Apr 2007, John Winters verbalised:
> I admit I'm typing this on a machine with 1G of RAM, but of that
> currently 211256k is unused and 560564k is cache, meaning that less than
>   280M is seriously in use.

Given the sorts of things that the page cache is used for, I'd not call
page cache pages necessarily unused.

You should probably at least subtract the Mapped figure in /proc/meminfo
from the Cached figure, to try to account for the fact that mapped text
pages from executables will be run directly from the page cache. (Of
course that accounting is also somewhat inaccurate, but it's better than
just assuming the page cache pages are unused.)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk