[Gllug] offsite backup services

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Dec 12 16:34:23 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 15:19 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>
>> Coincidentally my own research has just led me to the same question. I
>> don't have the exact figures but using find -mtime tells me we have
>> around 15GB of modified/new data to backup each day. So bandwidth does
>> become an issue if we're renting a server, places like rsync.net seem to
>> price only on storage space but they compensate with $1.60/GB (with bulk
>> discounts). For our server alone we may need ~200GB and I was also
>> looking into using the same service for our home-based users (currently
>> backing up to optical media) which would bump it up to somewhere around
>> 300GB.
>>

> At which point it may well be better economy to colocate a box somewhere
> fairly reliable with lots of RAID storage on it and rsync to that rather
> than subscribe to rsync.net or similar.
> <snip>

If you have a large amount of data (i.e. will use a large amount of
bandwidth) for the backup, you might look at a local provider where ever
you are and see about a dedicated circuit to your server so you are not
using / paying for general internet bandwidth on both ends.  This also
adds a level of security as your data is not being streamed across the
internet in general.  I believe that secure circuits are available as well.

Andrew
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk