[Gllug] offsite backup services

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Dec 13 09:26:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:34 -0700, Andy Farnsworth wrote:

> > At which point it may well be better economy to colocate a box somewhere
> > fairly reliable with lots of RAID storage on it and rsync to that rather
> > than subscribe to rsync.net or similar.
> > <snip>

We implement different types of backup for customers, depending on
requirements.
Tape loaders (our preferred type is Overland) plus Arkeia or CA
BrightStor

However, we also do RAID based backup servers using Dirvish
http://www.dirvish.org/
We have a canned Dirvish setup which seems to work well for people,
and do the job they want.
Storage is normally a RAID6 set of drives on the storage server itself
(hot swap of course) or could be an external RAID enclosure.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk