[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 07:31:04 UTC 2007

Nix wrote:

> :) feel free to upgrade: the latest version on the linux-raid wiki
> can handle non-RAIDed systems as well, and parses /etc/fstab to find
> your root filesystem...

Cool - now when I get a spare few hours, I might have a play :-)

> As far as I know GRUB can't handle RAID at all. LILO can handle RAID-1
> and LVM (barely) but not both at once.

Grub will boot from a RAID 1 /boot partition without a problem, and it's
easy enough to install on both bootsectors so in the event of either
drive failing the system should still boot.

> GRUB is quite a disappointment to me: LILO is so cruddy in so many ways,
> yet GRUB manages to come in worse in virtually every situation in which
> I've actually needed a non-simpleton bootloader :(

For me, GRUB's killer feature is the console - if your boot fails,
you're not totally screwed. You can search for an alternate kernel
image, and boot that, whereas with LILO, if it wasn't on the menu,
you're out of luck... It would be nice if it understood LVM though.
Actually, it would be nice if x86 machines didn't have such cruddy
pre-OS hardware, but that seems unlikely to change...

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk