[Gllug] [OT] Times Article on ABD was Fighting a virus

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 02:23:29 UTC 2007

On Mon 19 Feb, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Most cabbies I've spoken to are of the opinion that the congestion
> charge is largely ineffective at reducing congestion. I've yet to see a
> true measure of its efficiency as anything other than a revenue raising
> scheme. There are however definite figures for loss of trade by shops in
> the zone.

   One reason why congestion appears to be increasing, especially away from
the centre, is that many local routes have effectively been closed or
actually blocked, forcing all traffic to follow main roads and not avoid
congested town centres. I am well aware that speeding is dangerous,
especially when there are children around, while very low speed limits
please local residents, but I was told that some of the worst offenders were
women rushing to collect their offspring from the local school.

--
Chris Bell