[Gllug] Linux on Desktop

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Feb 12 13:54:38 UTC 2007

Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:56:38AM +0000, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Caroline Ford wrote:
>>

>> I'm suggesting that people /should/ do something about it, including
>> spending time trying to become the decision maker.  If some CTO or
>
> Please, feel free to apply for a job as VC of a university. Or, heck, even head
> of department or of the IT service.
>
> And then please find various GPIB control software for Linux which will easily
> interface with the bits of measuring kit we've got. Preferably HP VEE, as
> that's what we're currently using and would cause least disruption. Oh, and
> also SEM image capture software (which requires a special card in the computer
> to interface with the SEM). Not forgetting control software for the atomic

Dan, in many ways you have hit the nail on the head.
People don't buy computers because of the OS on them - they buy them
because of the applications they run.
They don't start out by looking at the security/open source
nature/(whatever) of the platform. They look at the applications, then
look at the platforms which will run them. Then price comes into the
equation.

As I've said many times on GLLUG, it is the "killer application" which
will bring Linux into common use on the desktop.

Apple IIs sold like hot cakes - because they ran Visicalc and individual
departments bought them out of the office budget.
IBM PCs sold because they ran Lotus 123, and similarly people bought
them out of the photocopier budget.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk