[Gllug] [OT] Thinkpads

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Feb 13 20:11:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 07:10:31PM +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Steve Nelson wrote:
> > I'd appreciate opinions / experiences comparing T23 and T30 thinkpads.
>
> I would say that a very good place to compare them, specifically their
> Linux support, is www.thinkwiki.org
>
> As an X40 owner and working in a linux-laptop-only company that is more
> thinkpads than anything else, they are generally excellent Linux
> machines. Well made, good keyboards, but most of all, vendor supported
> drivers for a lot of hardware and open drivers for most of the rest.

Just stay the hell away from the ATI graphics cards because ATI hate your
freedom and thus there is no open source driver for current cards :-(
Sure 'vesa' might 'work', but you have no XVIDEO support, no COMPOSITE
(ie no compiz bling), no multihead, etc.  Go for the intel graphics
options & everything will be nice again because Intel like freedom and
open source graphics drivers :-)

Regards,
Dan.