[Gllug] JOB: come and help run UKFSN

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Feb 8 14:42:51 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> The job is a fairly simple sysadmin role based upon Linux servers running
> the following:
>
> freeradius
> bind and mydns
> postfix
> apache with perl, php and python
> mysql
>
> The role is "customer facing" so you will need to be happy to respond to
> support emails, etc and occassionally handle phone calls as well.
>
> The job will suit someone who wants to learn about running an ISP.

Bah.  I did all that on half the salary (mind you I was in Norwich at
the time) *and* did dial-up networking, writing Windows software to
configure Windows 95 DUN settings (spit!), built the servers from
scratch (none of this Dell nonsense) and ran the technical support
department to boot.  Compulsory Saturday shifts AND continuous on-call
too - for no extra money.

Used Caldera Linux originally, but then switched to Red Hat 5 when it
came out.  Also took on a Windows NT server at one point too.  That
was *fun* (he says sobbing).

Those were the days (wipes away happy tears).  We only had 400
customers, but they were *happy* customers.  Now they've ditched all
the in-house equipment, outsourced the broadband have and gone with
Fasthosts for hosting - the swines!

M.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk