[Gllug] NTL + Wireless network problems

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jan 9 10:40:16 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Admin wrote:
>
>> My daughter is running a Kubuntu box with wireless networking that
>> worked flawlessly on the wireless network here (ADSL line and Netgear
>> WPA encrypted Access Point).

I have no experience of NTL lines etc. etc.

As other people have said what does your daughter mean by "slow"?

First thing to think about is name resolution.
Maybe with the original Netgear access point the box was used as a DNS
server and it is still in resolv.conf ???
Look at /etc/resolv.conf and see if (maybe) your original wireless
access point is first in the list of DNS servers, followed by the NTL
ones. Ping the NTL DNS servers, in case one of them isn't active.
You should have a working DNS server as the first entry.

tcpdump -i ethXX   and do some web browsing/send email

Install wireshark and look at the traffic on the network interface again
http://www.wireshark.org/
(what used to be called ethereal)

As you say, there are online "test my connection speed" pages.
Or if you have access to another server,
you could install netperf on it and use that for performance measurements:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/netperf

(Disclaimer - I use netperf for LAN measurements, never over a WAN,
but it should work, firewalling issues obviously coming into play)

Also worth installing ntop to have a look at what traffic is coming
into/out of the box, but that won't do any diagnosis of bandwidth for
you. More for interest.
http://www.ntop.org/
Also etherape for traffic monitoring
http://etherape.sourceforge.net/