[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Thu Jan 4 08:08:53 UTC 2007

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> It's pretty clear (to me at least), that servicing such a user community
> is incompatible with the use of blackhole lists to reject connections. I
> use SBL+XBL myself, so I appreciate the OP's reasoning, but when it gets
> in the way of providing the service for which the machines have been
> installed, the policy needs changing. If that means going to management
> and saying "we need a bigger server to handle this", so be it.

My reason for being wary of third party blacklists comes from bitter
experience.

Several years ago and then-popular BL decided to shut down operation
overnight.  Had they done just that, there would not have been a
problem, but what they actually did was leave the service running but
blacklist the _entire_ Internet. I was lucky, we only lost several
hundred emails but I noticed the problem.

I see no reason why this can't and won't happen again, so I don't use
BLs as a definitive guide to what's blockable and what's not.  They are,
however, a very good source of _hints_ for what _might_ be spam, so I
use them as such.

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk