[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 12 00:01:47 UTC 2007

On 11 Jan 2007, tethys at gmail.com said:
> On 1/11/07, Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.co.uk> wrote:
>> I see, so because you've not convinced me in respect of having a working
>> graphics card irrespective of the fact that the driver/module is tainting the
>> kernel your course of persuasion is to call into question my mental
>> stability?
>
> Wow. That's quite an impressive misreading of what he said...

I'd make comments about `loose Cannons' but I'm sure Peter's heard them
already and with a surname like mine I really can't afford to go around
making jokes about people's names. ;)

>> I notice predominantly your contributions are generally in the negative usually
>> telling some poor sole "Thats wrong, you don't know what your talking about".
>
> You say that like it's a bad thing. Personally, I think correcting
> others when they've got something wrong is generally a good idea. That
> includes wanting others to correct me when I've screwed something up,
> BTW.

Likewise. We learn by mistakes and so on. (I just hope that most
people's learning is not as destructive as, say, the way I learnt that
shell globs are not expanded when they match nothing: involving, as
root,

for name in *; do
    [...]
    rm /usr/bin/$name
done

oops! time to reinstall... and it wasn't even my machine...)

>                   But your original claim that tainting your kernel
> was unimportant as it doesn't affect performance is bizarre enough to
> be questioned by many around here, and Nix just happened to be the
> first. True, it doesn't affect performance,

(much)

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'