[Gllug] File permissions and umask on Ubuntu (and I think probably, Debian)

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Mon Jan 8 21:20:08 UTC 2007

damion.yates at gmail.com writes:

> I have worked in an environment where we used a shared space and I
> have to say, the only way it worked was because the vast majority of
> users were technically competant enough to remember to chgrp and chmod
> after writing.  Yes g+s saved the hassle of needing to chgrp things
> but sometimes the files could have been extracted from a tar.  This
> was an old solaris system with the equivalent of a users group so few
> people would willingly to have a umask of 002.

cfengine is your friend:

# Ensure the Parts tree is accessible by all of us:
	linux.thoth.Min00_05::
		/home/shadow/Parts/ owner=shadow group=users
		mode=ug+rw,o+r action=fixall r=inf
#Ensure the documentation is accessible by all of us:
	linux.thoth.Min05_10::
		/home/shadow/HandBook/ owner=shadow group=users mode=ug+rw,o+r action=fixall r=inf

# Ensure the MP3's are slightly tricky to delete:
	linux.servers.thoth.Hr05::
		/mp3 mode=a+rx r=inf action=fixall

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk