[Gllug] BBC: Battle of the operating systems

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 21:37:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:09:43 +0000 "Thomi Richards" <thomir at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In some ways it seems a shame that we (Linux users) feel the need to
> compete with Microsoft. Surely we're self-sufficient enough that we
> can co-exist? Maybe that's a bit naive of me..

On the one hand, I tend to agree with you. I have a joint Linux/Windows
setup: two machines linked via Samba. The central thing for my is my
data, and I use Windows or Linux programs as appropriate to handle the
data. I'm finding I use Linux more frequently than Windows, but that's
how it goes.

On the other hand, Microsoft doesn't want to coexist with Linux.
Microsoft claims that Windows will do everything and wants to dominate
the world. That's the problem. And IMHO it's up to Microsoft to fix the
problem. Anything that happens to them as a result of them not fixing
the problem (eg anti-trust suits, slaggings off in the IT press,
anything in between) is entirely their responsibility,

--
 All the best,
 John