[Gllug] Linux on Mac Resources

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jul 31 09:23:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 03:41:06PM +0100, Panos Savvas wrote:
> > installed Fedora 6 on my Intel Mac Mini & wireless works just fine if you
> > use madwifi - i just installed it from rpm.livna.org YUM repository. There
> > should be no need to go anywhere nere the nsdiswrapper crap.
>
> Maybe fedore 6 is more bleeding edge than ubuntu :)
> My macs wireless is not supported in madwifi 0.93 and 0.94 is not released
> and not in debian/ubuntu repositories, so building 0.94 seems to be my only
> choice or wait for 0.94 to be released.
> I hear reports of other mac's wireless just working. I think the chipset
> changed aruond nov 2006 which might explain it as mine is feb 07. When did
> you get your mac?

End of Jan 07, but I'm in the US, so its possible they have a different
spec'd chip in the UK or something. I'm using

   madwifi-0.9.3.1-1.lvn6.i386.rpm

In mine, along with NetworkManager and its quite happy.

> > The only issue I had was setting up Xorg config - that was only a problem
> > for me though because I was connecting to a LCD TV
>
> Is this mac specific do you think? I can run ubuntu on my thinkpad to a LCD
> TV and the only conf I needed to do was add the higher resolution to
> xorg.conf. I had to do this also on my macbook.

Yeah, pretty sure its the fault of my TV, rather than the graphics card
or driver. There's no much you can do if the TV returns no EDID timing
data except fallback to some crappy 'standard'  vesa resolution rather
than the TV's native widescreen.

Dan.