[Gllug] Linux on Mac Resources

Panos Savvas pasavvas.accounts at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 30 22:55:35 UTC 2007

Amongst the above I found
http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page
to be particularly useful. In fact it has distro specific instructions/links
for installing linux on intel macs.

Also lots of good tips/starting points:
http://modular.math.washington.edu/macbook/
Although its a 2006 resource, so naturally apple have changes a bit, but as
I recall quite a bit of this worked.
Nice touch with the keymappings.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Apple_MacBook
the gentoo wiki on the subject is very comprehesive, although a lot is too
specific to the distro. A very nice resource though and includes a section
on pre and post nov 2006, where a few things changed harware wise.

I just came across this also:
http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/#i386
seems a decent guide to loading debian on intel based mac minis

Wireless was the only significant hurdle. Apparently there are two ways to
get it working.
1. ndiswrapper and windows drivers (they exist for my mac, but who knows if
apple have changes things again!)
2. building madwifi 0.94 from svn.

In fact I didn't get around to trying either of these out before my wife
decided linux wasn't for her, so I would be interested in hearing if you are
succesful.