[Gllug] Linux on Mac Resources

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jul 31 08:05:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 11:55:35PM +0100, Panos Savvas wrote:
> Wireless was the only significant hurdle. Apparently there are two ways to
> get it working.
> 1. ndiswrapper and windows drivers (they exist for my mac, but who knows if
> apple have changes things again!)
> 2. building madwifi 0.94 from svn.

I installed Fedora 6 on my Intel Mac Mini & wireless works just fine if you
use madwifi - i just installed it from rpm.livna.org YUM repository. There
should be no need to go anywhere nere the nsdiswrapper crap.

If you want a guide in how *not* to install Linux on a mac then I wrote some
notes here...

  "How to turn a Intel Mac Mini into a $900 paperweight"

  http://berrange.com/personal/diary/2007/02/how-to-turn-intel-mac-mini-into-900

More usefully though installing it correctly:

 "How to turn a $900 paperweight back into a usable Intel Mac Mini"a

 http://berrange.com/personal/diary/2007/02/how-to-turn-900-paperweight-back-into

The only issue I had was setting up Xorg config - that was only a problem
for me though because I was connecting to a LCD TV which didn't return
any EDID monitor timing info. Connecting to a regular monitor it should
'just work'  with zero configuration required.

Regards,
Dan.