[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

yane at sdf-eu.org yane at sdf-eu.org
Wed Jul 11 15:42:48 UTC 2007

> I did read the rest of your post. But I don't think it's at all clear
> to those who fall for this trick what is going on. What they will see,
> if they investigate, is the price of the stock going up, then down.
> They may well conclude that they acted too late, and so should be more
> prompt the next time they get a tip.
>
> It's not stupidity that drives this scam but ignorance. Not the same
> thing at all,

Hmmm.  In fact isn't it even more insidious than that?  If you know this is
a scam, buy the stock and sell quickly, you CAN make money (effectively by
playing the scammers game).  Obviously the more people try this, the smaller
the window for making a profit, but assuming some people do react to these,
there WILL be a window.  I am sure there are some people making monet from
these scams ... and not just the scammers.

Just a thought - or am I missing something here?

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk