[Gllug] DNS & VPN

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 20:42:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 08:37:46PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 20 Jun, Alain Williams wrote:
> >

> > That is doing things in their office, that is not the problem. By the time
> > packets gets there they will have already traversed the VPN.
> >
> > I want the remote/home PC to continue to use the broadband-modem/ISP/... for DNS
> > lookups BUT have it know about one DNS name that is internal to the company.
> >

>    I assume that the office has an officially assigned IP address block to
> its internal machines, otherwise the IP address is not routable. If it is
> routable, it is also guessable.

The internal office addresses are 192.168.XX.XX Part of setting up the VPN connection
is to push a routing command to the home PC to 192.168.0.254 which is the one address
that they need to access over the VPN and for which I would like to give a name.

The VPN (and routing, etc) all works. The question is how to name 192.168.0.254.

>    If the person who requires access via a VPN has a fixed IP address, then
> IPCop can be configured to forward the VPN using its own VPN and firewall
> settings.
>    My ADSL modem/router also provides VPN and firewall facilities to select
> access restrictions, so I can specify similar restrictions for both my modem
> and the IPCop firewall, and all my connections must go through both (I am
> not using the multiple modem/router ports at present).
>    If the home IP address is not fixed, then setting up any VPN could prove
> difficult.

It will vary, party because they move about.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk