[Gllug] phpmyadmin and Debian

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 18:02:23 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>> Looks fine to me, other than that he should be using aptitude.
>
> Why? What makes aptitude better than apt in your view?
>
> All I want is a simple way to install and maintain packages.

apt-get and aptitude both give this, but aptitude is recommended over
apt-get because it's dependancy resolution is currently cleverer. The
gap should be reduced with the version of apt currently in experiemental
and being tested/developed.

aptitude is, for the most part, command-line compatible with apt-get, so
if you can use one, the other should be easy to pick up.

Of course, you can equally still use apt-get - nobody is going to stop
you, but the recommended tool for upgrading from sarge to etch, and
possibly from normal usage outside of distribution upgrades, is aptitude.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk