[Gllug] phpmyadmin and Debian

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 16 18:18:39 UTC 2007

Paul Cupis wrote:

> Of course, you can equally still use apt-get - nobody is going to stop
> you, but the recommended tool for upgrading from sarge to etch, and
> possibly from normal usage outside of distribution upgrades, is aptitude.

Aptitude is the preferred text front end these days:-

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html

That said, I still prefer apt-get. Aptitude's cleverness is unnecessary
IMHO, and can result in it doing things you don't necessarily want. It's
easy enough to remove extraneous packages that have been pulled in as
dependencies with deborphan, and aptitude is apparently unable to
distinguish between explicitly installed packages and dependencies if
you've used apt-get to install things.

That said, I do use it for sarge->etch upgrades, but I don't believe
it's likely to do a better job than apt-get can do.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk