[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 25 08:30:06 UTC 2007

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 09:00:11AM +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotLinux/~3/127061174/article.pl
>
> http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:D1ZIAHrGuGIJ:www.windowsmarketplace.com/details.aspx%3Fitemid%3D3411347+ubuntu+windowsmarketplace&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
>
> (Sorry about the long link above)
>
> I'm wondering if the offer was withdrawn at Mr Shuttleworths request or
> did MS withdraw it themselves seeing as they got the concept of GPL
> slightly wrong which makes me laugh as they have done nothing but
> litigate licensing over the last 10 years or so.

1. Why would Mark Shuttleworth be concerned that Microsoft (or anyone) is
   promoting Ubuntu, as long as the promotion was factual?

2. Why do you feel that distributing GPL software or even selling
   distributions of it would be "getting the GPL slightly wrong"?
   Hint: Microsoft has distributed GPL software before, and may
   still do so.

> Actually this begs an interesting question, we all extol the virtues of
> Freely downloadable so how does Microsoft offering 'Download Space' for
> Linux Distro's' sit with the community?

If you actually read the links you give, you will see that the
Microsoft site merely pointed to C|Net so they weren't distributing
it or offering "download space" anyway.  But if they did, so what?

> For me personally in line with the Freedom ethos I don't have a
> problem with it. what's your view?

My view is, after we remove all the errors in the above, I don't
think we're left with much of a talking point.

Cheers,
Andy