[Gllug] [VACANCY] SQL Developer

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:19:19 UTC 2007

On 06/06/07, Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello chaps,
>

> Role: SQL Developer
> Contract Length: Estimated 1 week
>
> I require an experienced SQL developer to help with a schema porting
> project as part of implementing a new accounts system.
>
> We have an old (primitive) accounts system which is basically one big
> table, effectively a log of purchases.  This is in MySQL 4.
>
> We have designed a new model, which abstracts this data out into half
> a dozen tables representing different entities.  This is going to be
> in MySQL 5.  This has been tested with a large number of stored
> procedures, and will form the basis of the new accounts model.
>
> The task is to extract identities from the old table, accounting for
> name changes, company changes etc - to populate the new schema with
> the old data.
>
> The old data is about 100,000 rows.
>
> We have been experimenting with SQL porting scripts, and I have some
> example code I can show.  We anticipate that the task will make heavy
> use of self joins, group bys, and stored functions and procedures.
>
> The successful candidate will be pairing with an experienced
> developer, but providing the SQL expertise.  There will be room for
> the candidate to work with us again in the future, if the candidate
> impresses.
>
> If you're interested, drop me a note off-list.

 Why MySql? Why not use a database which does not have Massive database
corruption problems no referential interrogatory.  MySql may have come a
long way but it is nothing short of a quick and dirty solution. I can find a
list a mile long of reasons not to use MySql...
Unfortunately I'm yet to find a reason to use it. (except maybe "Because
everyone else does" which just does not work for me :).

Peter.