[Gllug] [VACANCY] SQL Developer

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jun 7 22:19:19 UTC 2007

On 7 Jun 2007, Peter Childs outgrape:
> Why MySql? Why not use a database which does not have Massive database
> corruption problems

I don't like MySQL, but I don't think it has *that*. It does have the
problem of changing major things in the middle of apparently stable
releases, though.

>                     no referential interrogatory.

Advice: if you don't want to seem like a twit when discussing databases,
learn the lingo. That's `referential integrity' and it's one of the few
things that MySQL *can* say it's got. What it didn't have until quite
recently was properly ACID transactions (atomic, consistent, isolatable,
durable). It also doesn't have operator overloading and all the other
cool OO things PostgreSQL can do, and its rules for implicit type
conversion and silent correction of apparently buggy SQL statements to
what it thought you meant give me the *willies*.

So no, I wouldn't go near it for important data, but not for the reason
you state.

> Unfortunately I'm yet to find a reason to use it.

It used to be *much* faster than PostgreSQL, but PostgreSQL has got a
lot faster in the last few years and they're nearly on par now; MySQL is
faster for some loads, PostgreSQL faster for others.

--
`... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
 be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk