[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 22:04:46 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:

> Moving from an LLU based ADSL service to an IPStream based one requires
> the payment to BT of the full activation charge.

ISTR I did need to pay an activation fee - that makes things a bit clearer.

> Now that ISPs are required by law to facilitate outbound migration I
> suspect the market will begin to change away from free activation offers
> except where it is clear that additional revenue streams will be opened as
> a result. I may be wrong but the market is changing.

That would certainly make sense - providers won't survive long of they
make a loss.

> I'm inclined to agree but I'd take it further - why should the operator
> have to pay £1+/min to do so? If you want to mandate it let the state pay
> the price for it.

I confess to having no knowledge of how 999 services are paid for -
where does the £1/minute come in? Are they attempting to pay for
staffing of 999 call centers from cash extracted from telephone
operators? I'd agree with you though - this is a clear case for
something that should be state funded.

Mike