[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Mar 14 08:45:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, John G Walker wrote:

> > I'm inclined to agree but I'd take it further - why should the
> > operator have to pay £1+/min to do so? If you want to mandate it let
> > the state pay the price for it.
>
> Because the state doesn't have any money of its own. This would have to
> come out of taxation, and would, in the end, mean higher taxes.

Emergency services are a state supplied service. By your own logic why
should you not be charged privately for it rather than pay via taxes?

> Things like life-saving services should be factored in as overhead
> costs. If a businessman can't work out how to pay his overheads and make
> a profit, why should the public subsidise him? (Or her?)

Why should it be an overhead for a business? Doesn't the business already
pay taxes?

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98