[Gllug] (OT) Server spec for 100W power consumption

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 17 12:12:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 10:05:28AM +0100, Anthony Newman wrote:

> Garry Heaton wrote:
> > I'm looking to build a 1U server which won't need more than 100W under load
> > in order to keep my colo costs down. Maybe go with a dual core Opteron but
> > I'm not sure which factors contribute most to power consumption:
> >

> One of those chips alone will use in excess of 100W at full tilt. Disks
> probably require 15-20W a piece if they're working hard (that is a guess
> though).

There is an athlon X2 3800+ rated at 35W
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADD3800IAT5CU
or an Opteron 140|240|840 EE at 30W
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/opteron/details.aspx?opn=OSB140CSP5AT

Looking at a random 3.5 disk (Barracuda 7200.10)
 Average idle current        9.30 watts
 Average seek power          12.60 watts
 Standby power               0.80 watts
 Sleep power                 0.807 watts
 Maximum start current, DC   2.80 amps
and a ramdom 2.5 disk (Momentus 7200.2) gives
 Startup Current 5v (amps max) 1.1
 Power Management (W)
 Seek Avg            2.3
 Read/Write Avg      2.1
 Idle/Standby Avg   0.8/0.25

Here is a random review for an under 100W system
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/09/25/green_machine_uk/page4.html

> You might have to reduce your aspirations a little :)

Probably but it isn't impossible I think.

Cheers,
Kostas
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk