[Gllug] css upgrade - the holy grail

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon May 28 11:31:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Progga wrote:

> Y, this is really very confusing.  Java is now almost open-source.
> There are now loads of open-source tools like mtasc, haxe, openlaszlo to
> generate Flash. Adobe will soon open source their Flash devel tools.
> But the technologies like Java and Flash are not part of standards.
> The Flash plugin itself is not open-source.  There's that wonderful XUL
> that unfortunately works only in Mozilla.  Open-Source but not part of
> the standard ...  These days I am really lost whether to use them or
> stick to Javascript only :-(

Perhaps that's because you are not properly focused.

Remember that the purpose in producing a website is not usually to use
impressive technology but to communicate with either a very wide target
group or a very specific target group (but remembering that if it is on
the internet it needs to be generally accessible).

Using impressive technology is great only if it meets that need. If you
know everyone in your target group has a browser which supports flash and
has java or javascript and the use of that techology best presents your
message then great otherwise don't use that technology.

It's just a matter of selecting tools best suited to your needs.

The issue of whether the tools you select are Free Software or Open Source
or not is a political one. Personally I believe it is an important
political one but it is one that should come after the primary
consideration of whether that tool even meets your requirement to
communicate effectively.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk