[Gllug] Question re Linux compatibility of certain laptops

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Mon May 28 11:23:35 UTC 2007

On 25/05/07, Christopher Mocock <chris at wavestore.com> wrote:
> Thought I'd just address the second part of your email. When you buy new
> hardware like this, there may be a few things which aren't
> straightforward to set up. But the good news is that there's a huge
> community out there all trying to get similar kit working, so I'd say
> take the plunge and go for it, but be prepared to spend a while on
> google, and some mailing lists such as this.

I'm not sure why somebody would want to buy a laptop model that's only
been available for less than 6 months - I sure wish we'd waited before
we bought a HP pavilion for my wife as the (well documented) power
supply problem seems unfixable and we'll have to shell out for a
replacement after only a few years use.

There is no reason to go for bleeding edge hardware any more than you
would for software.. I'd much rather go for stable, proven model, over
a newer one - usually with more 3rd party accessories and support, and
a lot cheaper.

When I got the nx6110 it was a modern spec, but only 500 quid, and
very well documented and supported as it had been out a couple of
years - it's only recently been discontinued.

Since then I've been able to get memory from crucial, and accessories
from elsewhere, as well as spares, etc direct from HP - if I'd bough a
brand new top of the range model off the high-street then I'd be
paying far more for a slightly faster chip and get a lot less support.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk