[Gllug] css upgrade - the holy grail

Progga progga at BengaLinux.Org
Mon May 28 11:01:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:14:24AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 27 May 2007, Martin A. Brooks uttered the following:
> > Any website that requires _any_ scripting or weird plugins (i.e. Java,
> > Flash etc etc) to provide the minimal intended information is
> > fundamentally flawed.
> >
> > If your website doesn't work in a text-only browser, you need to fire
> > your web designer and hire someone competent instead.
>
> I agree with the general slant of this, but, um, not so. e.g. right now

Y, this is really very confusing.  Java is now almost open-source.  There are
now loads of open-source tools like mtasc, haxe, openlaszlo to generate Flash.
Adobe will soon open source their Flash devel tools.  But the technologies like
Java and Flash are not part of standards.  The Flash plugin itself is not
open-source.  There's that wonderful XUL that unfortunately works only in
Mozilla.  Open-Source but not part of the standard ...  These days I am really
lost whether to use them or stick to Javascript only :-(

Sorry for diverging to web apps from a discussion on plain websites.