[Gllug] networking guide

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed May 30 22:45:49 UTC 2007

Nix writes:

>> I am specifically interested in brushing up on my routing knowledge in
>> Linux - am looking at aggregating a network connection over two DSL
>> uplinks.
>
>You can't do that sort of thing with ifconfig/route: look at
><http://lartc.org/> and get ready to ip(8).

Even with ip, it's going to be *very* difficult to do, as you'll have
two different source addresses, one for each DSL line. Sure, you could
NAT one to the other, but that's pretty much a surefire way to get your
ISP to drop the traffic due to RPF. And even if you get past that, you're
likely to run into firewall problems due to the asymmetric routing that
you've created.

Rather than true load balancing across the two lines, the best workaround
is probably policy based routing -- i.e., send all web traffic over one
line, and ssh traffic over the other, for example.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk