[Gllug] advertisement sent through glugg announce

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 09:59:13 UTC 2007

Caroline Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 09:59 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>>Caroline Ford wrote:
>>>I think if people are going to advertise 1 day seminars, however related
>>>and worthy, they should at least mention that they cost £146.87 to
>>>attend.
>>>Not mentioning the incredible fee makes it seem no better than spam imo.
>>>
>>UCE perhaps, not spam.  The current mailing list policy does permit
>>commercial advertisments, however.
>>http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/#id2506383
>
> That refers to the main gllug list. The UCE/spam was sent out on
> gllug-announce at gllug.org.uk
> Caroline

FWIW the advert left me in irritation as well. Like C (probably) the
further I read the more I became interested in their line up. However
having a Scottish heritage I went looking for more detail...

Irritation nr1: why do people think that leading me, clickety, clickety,
through multiple 'pages' will somehow make more MORE enthusiastic when I
hit 'the bottom line'?

I notice that the UnixUG members qualify for a discount. From C's
observation I assume GLLUGgers do not(?) Thus there is a 'return' to
that UG's members for the use of their web site (and presumably ANNounce
list) but what did GLLUG receive in return for allowing what seems to be
a free advertisement? Perhaps it is to do with the fraternity of UGs - I
am ignorant of such things.

Irritation nr2: if folk wish to interpret the word 'free' their own way,
they should be consistent in their application and identification
thereof - otherwise the 'but you must pay me' crowd are (knowingly)
taking advantage of the other claimants to 'free', surely?

Irritation nr3: 'fraternity' works both ways - if you'd like me to be
friendly to you, how about offering me some 'friendship'!
(again, in ignorance, perhaps there is some preferential offer?)

Irritation nr4: most if not all of the adverts I have seen (during my
brief membership) have been for free events, or even 'come and see me
and I'll buy the first beer'... Thus this one had quite a different tone
- and left quite a different taste! I doubt I'll be attending...

To reinforce present policy or get the ball rolling on a review, per M
and C's points:
1 the person/group/organisation placing an advertisement should be
clearly identified, as should any profit motive or intent as to
surplus/source of subsidy
2 the relationship of the above to GLLUG should appear, and thereafter
any discount or 'special offer' to GLLUG members
3 the advertisement should state the 'downside' facts up-front, eg
location, date(s), cost'
4 whether spam or UCE, given that it is not a GLLUG event, perhaps the
message's title/subject field should have some sort of ADV prefix?

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk