[Gllug] Broadband Fair Use Policy

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 18:36:42 UTC 2007

On Mon 08 Oct, Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi
>
> Jason Clifford wrote:
> > That does not actually state what the FUP is for option 3. It doesn't
>
> I get the impression that the ISPs are being deliberately vague about
> what "fair" means, so they can make it mean whatever they like to avoid
> having to pay for transit. I ditched Tiscali when they started
> complaining about our usage during peak hours (where peak meant 6pm-11pm
> - the only hours I was actually sitting at my computer!)
>
> Personally I think it stinks and anyone selling an unlimited package
> that has limits should be made painfully aware of the trades description
> act, or some such thing.
>
> Cheers,

   I suppose that if an absolute figure is mentioned then that must be
applied, and that could be worse than any loose arrangement, but any loose
arrangement depends so much on the generosity of the suppliers. Perhaps we
need a specification based on the real total rate and the real number of
subscribers, but that is the same as contention, which is no longer stated.
   Any maximum may depend on local congestion rather than any national
limits, which would involve the supplier updating the infrastructure in a
timely manner.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk