[Gllug] Broadband Fair Use Policy

Alex Smith asmith at asmhosting.com
Tue Oct 9 09:04:50 UTC 2007

> That does not actually state what the FUP is for option 3. It doesn't
> state what the level of usage is at which they will throttle the
> connection or the extent to which they will do so and thus it leaves
> the
> door open for them to cripple the connection in response to not very
> much usage - as I've read people complaining they do on the
> thinkbroadband forums.

It definitely isn't the 600GB they vaguely mention in that document. I did
about 150GB a month for a few months and found that not only was my
connection throttled so badly that I couldn't even listen to 128kbit
streaming media, I was also pushed through their rather appalling excuse for
a proxy server.

Made me jump providers, am happily on Be now and have done very large
amounts of bandwidth in one month without any problems or complaints from
them (500GB+).

I guess it depends on how contended the local BT exchange gets as to if BT
throttle you... least that's what I think.

However, if you can find a decent provider that seems to care/have semi
realistic prices for their service then you'll be able to do a lot of
bandwidth, the old adage of you get what you pay for :)

Alex

P.S. I do think FUP's do suck though

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk