[Gllug] No Expo this year

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 16:20:04 UTC 2007

On Wed 05 Sep, Steven Goodwin wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 03:59:48PM +0100, Sean Tohill wrote:
> >
> > there is no reason why we couldn't organise an event here over a weekend.
> > i could book several rooms, scatter vendors/companies about and have
> > various streams going on in different rooms/lecture theatres (pubs?).
>
> I like the stream idea. If you can quantify what those should be
> effectively (e.g. sysadmin, programming, multimedia) then one person can
> take charge of each room, and focus on speakers/projects for it. With
> minimal cross-over, hopefully.
>
> One thing that Fosdem also does is have a Debian room, a KDE room, etc.
> I'm not sure if there's enough people to man rooms for each
> distro/project though.
>
> > the problem would be the organisation, which would require several people.
>
> Agreed. And if you want to a substitute for this years expo, there's
> probably no time to do everything we want. So, do we try to arrange a
> version 1 this year? Or wait for a bigger bang next?
>
> S.

   That sounds great, but it could end up as one-to-one in each room. On the
other hand, it might be worth organising frequent separate meetings to cover
these aspects, and they might be well attended by people interested in more
than one aspect of what they wish to achieve, and would not wish to miss
anything. I believe that there are plenty of new users who would attend to
learn the basics, even if it may be boring old hat to others. Perhaps we
should start meetings with a talk aimed at beginners, with more advanced
talks just before the recovery period in the pub.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk