[Gllug] PCI wifi Interface recommendations

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Sep 18 14:45:15 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> I bought a wireless-ethernet bridge for my growing office network
> (separated by a large distance from the phone socket / DSL).  It's a
> Linksys WET 11, and is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread.
> It completely removes all hassle about using Wifi with office
> equipment (several computers and a printer).

This is exactly the sort of problem I need to fix. in a nuthsell : dsl
modem parked in the machine room at home, i get 1.2megs uplink and
7.3megs downlink. With the modem parked downstairs, next to the BT
master port, i get 2.1megs up and 17.6 megs down. however, that will
need about 50 meters worth of cat5 to connect. Not too keen on doing
that  :)

Also, moving the internet link to wifi would mean my wired network can
all finally go jumbo-frame'd gigabit. Since the dsl modem is the only
thing in my network which does not like either jumbo's or gigabits.

> The updated version (Linksys Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge WET54G) is
> available on Amazon.

I shall look see, thanks :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk