[Gllug] Duo Core processor 4Gb Ram laptop

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 28 11:40:01 UTC 2008

2008/12/27 Anthony Newman <aenewman78 at gmail.com>

> I'm hoping I'm not the only one failing to be surprised at that
> "revelation". We've been temporarily diverted from the business of
> pursuing increasing clock speeds by using multiple cores, because of the
> phenomenal financial investment the clock speed war would be likely to
> require;

Not just financial investment, but heat dissipation.
I would imagine that 3.4Ghz is as fast as processors are ever going to get.

Nehalem is just around the corner, in fact already sampling by some
companies.
This is Intel's new chip, with four then eight cores with QuickPath (the
equivalent to HyperTransport) plus a better implementation of
Hyperthreading.

The buzz in the HPC world at the moment is with GPU computing - using
graphics processors as accelerators. Essentially vector processing. With the
advent of the OpenCL language, and pledges by Nvivia to support it I see
this maturing rapidly.
I might even be prepared to give a talk on CUDA, as I have run it at home.

Further into the future, there is Larabee which is the coming together of
graphics processors on the main CPU package.