[Gllug] While we're on the subject of racks

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 09:55:48 UTC 2008

On Sun 28 Dec, Tim Porter wrote:

> Secondly, I live in the top floor of a flat, my flatmate often worries
> about all this kit falling through the floor. The flat is pretty new (two
> years maybe), assuming its built to all the legally required standards,
> which I am sure it is, does anyone know what sort of weight per square foot
> I should be able to put on it? I think they usually measure it in
> Newtons/square foot to account for impact and shock loads but I can't find
> any reliable source of actual numbers. I'm sure there must be some.

   Beware that there may be a huge difference between the average loading
per square metre and the point loading per square millimetre. I used to work
with a piece of mobile equipment weighing more than two tons that sat on
four relatively small wheels designed to work on a flat and level solid
floor. It went through the floor almost every time it was borrowed, even
though it was explained that any floor must be capable of carrying the load.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk