[Gllug] convert ntfs to fat32

j.roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Wed Dec 17 09:23:33 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:
> it is a dual boot machine. I understand ntfs is primarily for Windows
> but my fear is that would ntfs partition has more chance to crash or
> corrupt when in use with both Windows and linux eg ubuntu?
>
> Please advise.

Not sure I can advise but can certainly comment.

The main reason I have for using fat32 is as a common data partition on
dual-boot Linux/Windows laptops.

Traditionally, writes to NTFS were not well supported on Linux (as the
whole filesystem had had to be reverse engineered without
documentation). However, I have not heard of a lot of problems with NTFS
writes over the last couple of years.

This does depend on how it is being done: see

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php

I have frequently used Linux tools to repair and rewrite NTFS
filesystems that were broken, with notable success. So I would say that
Linux NTFS support is fairly solid.

FAT32 Linux support is very solid, OTOH.

However FAT32 is a dreadful filesystem: NTFS is a modern(ish) journaling
filesystem and much more robust.

What I would not currently be very happy with is a situation where Linux
is reading and writing regularly to the Windows system partition. The
reason for this is that Microsoft make undocumented and unexpected
changes to their system at sporadic and random times, for various
reasons. These tend IME to impact the system partition, and have far
less effect on a straight (unencrypted) real ('basic') NTFS data partition.

All I can really say is that what I do on dual boot is something like this:

I create 5 partitions:

1: Windows System/boot/with GRUB - formatted NTFS
2: Windows swap - FAT32
3: Linux - EXT3
4: Linux swap - SWAP
5: data - FAT 32

- with #5 the largest. Windows is installed first, then Linux.

I have not yet lost data on any of the many machines configured in this way.

However, it would in fact be better to have the NTFS system used instead
of FAT32 for data as it is a better filesystem - I am not sure if it is
yet as robust as FAT32 under Linux.

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk