[Gllug] Wireless ADSL router suitable for IPv6 over IPv4

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sat Feb 23 15:05:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 10:29:02AM -0000, john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:
> I'm looking for a Wireless ADSL router (preferably with 4 hard-wired ports
> as well) which is capable of handling IPv6 over IPv4 traffic as well.  My
> current Netgear one doesn't seem to be able to do it - you can open it up
> to allow in TCP or UDP but nothing else.  AFAICS, IPv6 over IPv4 uses
> protocol 41 and the Netgear has no option for that.  I've checked the
> Netgear web site and I have the latest available firmware.
>
> Needless to say, sales-droids who even understand the question are rarer
> than a very rare thing.  Short of buying a lot of ADSL routers and testing
> them I can't think of another way of finding out.

I'm not sure if any do ADSL + Wifi all in one, but if you're ok wtih
separate boxes, get a wifi router which can be reflash to run OpenWRT

   http://openwrt.org/

I have the LinkSys  classic WRT 54GL, but there're many options

  http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware

I know a friend who's very happy with the Bufflo models which are able
to run OpenWRT.

There's a guide to IPV6 on OpenWRT hre

  http://wiki.openwrt.org/IPv6_howto

I'm using it between my home, and servers at bytemark.co.uk and at