[Gllug] DVD video errors panic

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Fri Jan 18 15:11:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, January 18, 2008 11:50 am, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:

> You're certainly further 'into' such things than I. However shouldn't
> the control-behavior of the device be amended based upon which mode it
> is in?
> - one has cache-write issues (for example) when 'burning' but such is
> irrelevant when 'reading', and in any case surely 'eject' should have
> some override power like a mini-Linux shutdown TERM signal
> - hey, I don't know what low-level commands a drive will accept, so...

It may be that you have a lot of reads already in the queue. What do your
logs say when this happens?

In the case of my device driver it sequentially tries to read sector after
sector, timing out every seven seconds when the sector read fails (the
device doesn't do scatter-gather so dma reads are always for a single
sector).

That, though, is the behaviour you'd want - even if it could go on for a
very long time. Because sooner or later you might get to the sector that's
not damaged.

Not sure why eject isn't working - possibly because the kernel is in a
busy wait for a lot of the time?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk