[Gllug] heartbeat 2

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jan 31 10:49:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:35 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm playing with heartbeat-2 for the first time.
>
> I have a machine running xen running two virtual servers.  My first goal
> is to create a floating IP address between the two of them.

I configure and support Heartbeat setups,
but not on Xen machines.
(In fact I have some good ideas for a very good use for Xen/heartbeat
but no time to test and implement)

I went to a seminar at SuSE in Woking last year, where the two guys
there built and showed an HA pair running on Xen. they use Oracle OCFS
as the shared filesystem - which is supported by SuSE.
There is a white paper writeup on what to do on the SuSE site.

> Without heartbeat running the machines are able to ping each other
> normally, xen is set up to NAT traffic from them to the outside world,
> all works as expected.
>
> When I start heartbeat up, both machines take up the virtual IP address
Are you sure the virtual IP address startup is not being configured to
both nodes as the primary?
ie. is the IPAddr2 startup being configured to BOTH the hosts (which is
wrong - it should start up on one only, and the second one brings it up
on failover).

My tip - configure /var/log/ha-log and debug also to ha-debug
tail -f ha-debug
as you start the heartbeat service.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk