[Gllug] Reply-To Header Mangling

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Thu Jan 31 12:14:37 UTC 2008

Hi

Jason Clifford wrote:
> it's a mailing list - if the person wanted to have replies sent
> elsewhere (s)he should post separately from the list.

People are free to set reply-to to whatever they like, most will never
use it, but some do. That's the point of the header.
Who are you to decree what people "should" do wrt lists and their email?
I see your name is "Jason Clifford", not "RFC" followed by some numbers ;)

The very fact that this topic comes up over and over and over again is
proof that there is no "should" when it comes to email nuances, because
it's grown far beyond its original design.

Not mangling reply-to ought to be far more correct, but the sad reality
is that most mail clients don't detect they are look at list mail and
handle it appropriately, even though it's trivially easy to do so, and a
huge usability win for users (far more so than reply-to mangling is -
that masks the issue and makes certain corner cases impossible to handle).

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net