[Gllug] Why do jobs migrate between cores?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jan 27 18:09:54 UTC 2008

I'm running a couple of CPU intensive jobs on a dual quad-core Xeon
system (so 8 cores in total).  In the fullness of time (once the
algorithm has been tested) the jobs will run multi-threaded and so I
hope will make full use of all the cores, but I'm intrigued about what's
happening at present.

With 2 jobs running they sit quite happily on two different cores, one
in each processor and they each use about 75% user mode and 25% system
mode.  The system is otherwise pretty much idle and yet every now and
again one of the jobs will migrate to a different core (as seen using
top).  Two questions:

1) Is it by design that the kernel uses one core from each physical
processor?
2) Why would a job move from one core to another when there's sod all
else going on?

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk