[Gllug] Vacancy: MySQL DBA (London)

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 22:07:44 UTC 2008

--------

james writes:

>I am recruiting for an e-commerce-type client in London

I have to wonder if you bothered reading the commercial posting
policy at all. This is all but identical to your post from Monday.
It gives no additional details. Specifically, it doesn't name the
client (not essential, but I'm always wary of recruiters that
aren't prepared to do so), the location, or the salary.

>The exact location is commutable from most parts of London and
>is close to Kings Cross, Marlybone, Euston, Paddington and
>Victoria train links.

...and the exact location is? Why are you being so vague?

>I can't stipulate a base salary figure on offer as (from a recruiters
>perspective) this is never fixed but instead based on individual merit -
>taking into considering factors such as a candidate's current salary,
>their skills and experience

Sure you can. You're just choosing not to. If you can't give a
specific figure, you can at least give some idea of salary range,
as was mentioned in the followup to your earlier post. Is this
a junior position offering 20-25K or a more senior role offering
60-80K? Why make potential candidates try and guess? As for claiming
that the salary on offer is dependent on the candidate's current
salary? What possible relevance does that have? Pay the going rate
for the role and the level of experience. What someone is being paid
for a different role at another company really has no bearing on the
matter.

Then again, maybe I'm just, as Caroline claims, a bitter old man...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk