[Gllug] VACANCY: Production Support Engineer

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 12:05:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:29:27PM +0100, Iain Gray wrote:
> Ok so little success this time round.

Did you read the FAQ on job adverts?
    http://www.hinterlands.org/gllugfaq/#id2576192

Also if you don't give a salary then some people will assume that it
is not well paid.

> Anyone have any other ideas for job posting to get the kind of skills I'm after?

Maybe try some online job lists?

> Anyone have experience of agencies, etc?

No good ones.

More comments below. I'm not interested in this post, but am simply
thinking about why I don't think you have had any replies.

> 2008/5/22 Iain Gray <iain.dv at googlemail.com>:
>> Having had success at hiring from this list before I thought I would
>> give it another go.
>>
>> The role is in a high profile games studio working in the network
>> gaming group production support team.

You don't say which "high profile games studio". Some companies
in that area have a bad reputation.

>> The job requires someone who is able to apply logical troubleshooting
>> skills to issues as well as being able to write and run load and
>> performance tuning tests and apply production rigor to games as they
>> progress from development to production.

That doesn't really sound like much fun to me.

What sort of games are they?
Are there any famous titles a candidate might have heard of?

>> Recruitment time is ASAP (as always) and process is:

Why is recruitment always ASAP?

Do you not know how your company is expanding or when staff are
leaving?

>> Initial telephone interview
>> First f2f with tech test
>> Second interview

Standard enough.

>> If anyone is interested in the role and would like more information
>> please contact me off list

>> JOB DESCRIPTION:
>>
>> The role is to become part of the Production Support team for the
>> online games application and to help support and develop the
>> application and the processes around moving games through development
>> to production. The candidate will have good linux skills and show
>> understanding of troubleshooting methods and problem resolution.
>>
>> Duties and Responsibilities:
>>
>> There are 3 main areas of responsibility in this role and an applicant
>> should show demonstrable capability in at least 2 of these.
>>
>> 1.Management of many workstreams and ability to keep up to date on
>> several ongoing tasks at once. The candidate should be used to
>> managing their own time and keeping a clear audit trail of where each
>> task is at.
>> 2.Troubleshooting Issues by using networking, linux and application
>> knowledge to solve problems in a logical way.
>> 3.Willingness to take one aspect of the many varied aspects of the
>> role and become the team expert. Possible areas are C/C++ Client Sim,
>> Java coding for load testing or PL/SQL development.
>>
>> Skills and Experience:
>>
>> Skills that are essential for this role is knowledge of/experience
>> with a selection from :
>> Unix (linux) system setup and administration.
>> Troubleshooting skills. A logical and methodical way of working
>> through a problem.
>> A good understanding of networks and networked applications
>> Perl scripting for task automation.
>> Oracle database connectivity and administration.
>> PL/SQL knowledge
>> Web server environments including but not limited to Apache Tomcat,
>> with particular reference to jsp/servlet engines

So sysadmin, networking, test automation, database and web server
skills, with optional Java and C/C++ programming. That's quite a big
ask. Someone who is good in those areas can get a high salary in
several different aspects of IT.

The main problem I can see is that you have offered nothing to the
candidate. No salary, no interesting work, no company name, not even
where the company is based (can't assume London).

Ask yourself - why would you apply for this job?

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |