[Gllug] Autodiallers with “Line Sensing”

Richard Russell richard.a.russell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:52:10 UTC 2008

I haven't been a sysadmin for a while, but last time I had a problem like
this, we got an old Nokia phone, and used a SMS tool to send SMS's to
relevant people (I think we were using Nagios to monitor server status
rather than environment status, but the same principal applies).

You could, if you were concerned about reliability etc, have two mobiles on
two (real, not virtual) network operators, and send through both of them -
or even send from one to the other for testing purposes (this test in itself
could be one of the environment monitoring functions).... You can then
implement an escalation system, or automated rota, so it texts people until
acknowledged.

I would think something like this, using SMS rather than a human link, would
be more effective and reliable, and possibly cheaper... Though it's also
possible I've misunderstood your problem statement.

Cheers